Speech Pathology – what is it?

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Speech Pathology sounds like a service someone might engage when they are having trouble speaking and chatting – but actually encompasses a wide range of things to do with the mouth and throat areas. 

What is Speech Pathology? 

Speech Pathologists colloquially referred to as “speechies” are university-trained professionals who study and treat individuals who may have communications issues such as speaking, listening, understanding languages, social skills, reading and writing and those who have a stutter. They are governed under the national Speech Pathology Australia body. 

They work with a range of clients of all ages and backgrounds. This includes individuals who have brain injuries, stroke, developmental delays, a learning disability, or even conditions such as cerebral palsy and dementia. Speech Pathologists also assist those who have difficulties with swallowing food and drink and can manage their diets and teach them skills to assist when eating. 

Do I need Speech Pathology? 
Adult female therapist guiding young girl in speech therapy for a therapy exercise


If you think you might need a Speech Pathologist the best step is to go and talk to your local GP and get their opinion. If they believe you might need some help from a sPeech Pathologist, they will give you a referral. You can find a number of Speech Pathologists who work in a range of disciplines, to find out which one is right for you we recommend reaching out and talking to the Speech Pathologist to see if he can assist. You can do this by calling local clinics or simply browsing through the tappON platform and messaging them directly. 

How do I pay for Speech Pathology? 

Different Speech Pathologists charge different prices. You can use your NDIS funds to pay for Speech Pathology if you have been allocated under ‘Capacity Building’. Through tappON, you can negotiate a price with the speech Pathologist that works for both of you. If you don’t have any  funding or are unsure we recommend talking to your Local Area Coordinator for more information – https://www.ndis.gov.au/contact/locations

If you need more information about speech Pathology or any other Allied Health Services contact our team today for a 1:1 chat https://about.tappon.co/contact 

More to Explore

Types of Self Care

There are many different types of self care! Being human we have many basic needs including but not limited to: food, water,

Sign up for our Newsletter