Getting an ACAT assessment is when an individual is assessed for a government funded Home Care Package or an Aged Care Package. ACAT refers to Aged Care Assessment Team and this is a team of individuals who will meet with you and your family to go through your individual needs.
We’ve simplified the process. There are a few simple steps you need to take to secure your assessment and to prepare.
How do I apply?
If you want to organise an ACAT Assessment, you must first check your eligibility (are you over 65? What are your needs?) and then complete a quick application form online.
You can complete this form on the behalf of someone else, or complete it for yourself. If you are not comfortable with an online form or want some assistance, you can also contact My Aged Care directly to assist you over the phone.
This form will cover your basic details, what your current needs are, and what services you are interested in.
After you submit, a member of the ACAT Team will contact you to orgainise a face to face meeting (or virtual if circumstances permit).
How to prepare for my ACAT Assessment?
There are two types of assessment that work out your care needs and what types of care you may be eligible for.
- Regional Assessment Service (RAS) – If it sounds like you need low-level support to stay independent in your home, they may recommend a home support assessment with a RAS assessor. This type of support is provided through the Commonwealth Home Support Programme.
- Comprehensive assessment with an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) – If you have higher care needs a comprehensive assessment with an ACAT assessor may be recommended. This asses you for
– Home Care Packages
– Short-term care option
– Aged care homes
Before the assessment ensure you are ready. You will need a;
- Medicare Card and another form of ID such as DVA or Licence.
- Referrals from your GP & Health team
- Their contact details
- Any information or questions you may have about services you might want to discuss
- Consider if you need a translator or Auslan interpreter
You are allowed to also ask the ACAT Assessor any questions you may have such as What services are available for my needs? Are there support workers who can speak my language?. The Assessor is also there to help you through this process.
Once you have completed your assessment, the ACAT team will get in touch regarding your approval status. You can then begin engaging Service Providers for support workers and services.
After you have done your assessment, you can elect to Self Manage your Home Care Package. Self Managed means you have choice and control over who you want to work with and have a greater variety of options. tappON helps to connect Self Manage Home Care Participants with a range of support workers they can trust.
You can begin your ACAT Assessment Application here.
If you want to know more about choosing the right Home Care Provider, you can download our checklist.