Now you have your Home Care Package you can start to look for support to help you or your loved ones remain independent in the home. Choosing the right Home Care Provider is essential to ensure you are getting the most out of your funding. It is important to choose a provider that best suits your needs, has good customer service and value.
It can be overwhelming when looking at the large range of providers. To help you choose the right one for you, here is what to think about when choosing the right Home Care Provider.
What is important to you?
- What services do they offer? Most importantly do they offer the services that you need. Can you access personal care, social support, cleaning, allied health services or gardening from this provider? Or do you need a solution like tappON that brings multiple support professionals and businesses together to save you time and money.
- What are their fees? Depending on the provider you go with the fees related to their business can differ. Some charge Case Management fees which range from 10 to 45%. Other providers also charge others such exit fees, admin fees etc. It’s important to understand what the total fees are, to understand how much funding you have for services.
- What are your specific needs? This is a crucial part of deciding which package provider is right for you. It is highly recommended that you work out any specific needs you may have. Furthermore, do you require workers that speak another language? Do you have a preference for gender? What shift times are you after? What specific services do you require?
Having these listed out means you can decode right away if the provider is going to service your needs.
- Location – It’s also important to check if the provider or support worker is in your region/ willing to travel to your region. Therefore, you should consider if you travel between houses, can they accommodate services to both regions?
- Staff – Asking questions about the staff is okay. If you or your family has a specific need you may need staff that are trained. Do they have their Cert III? Do you require dementia or wound care training?
- Care Plans – Do you need a provider to help develop a Care Plan? Will the provider carry out the Care Plan you already have in place?
Choosing the right Home Care Provider should feel like a comfortable fit. They are your partner in helping you achieve your goals and receiving the support you need to remain independent in the home.
Now more than ever more choices are available and customers are savvy and have high expectations. By doing your research and asking the right questions, you can be confident that you have made the right choice for you and your family.
To help when you are engaging with different providers, we have created a downloadable checklist for you. There is where you can ask if they provide different services, charge fees etc and write down your notes for comparison.
If you need help choosing a provider, the tappON’s care experts offer free care planning sessions to help you. We are happy to sit down and develop a care schedule for your specific needs. We can help choose the right support workers to suit your needs.
If you do not have a Home Care Package yet, you can get in touch with My Aged Care at https://www.myagedcare.gov.au/assessment