The National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS) was set up to provide reasonable and necessary supports for individuals living with a disability. Once you have determined your eligibility you can begin to look at your options for how your plan is going to be managed. But, what is involved when choosing an NDIS Plan Manager?
Well, there are 4 ways you can manage your NDIS funding once you have a NDIS plan. At your meeting with your NDIA planner you will be going through your goals and what supports you need to put in place to achieve your goals.
A key part of getting your NDIS plan is understanding how you will be managing your funding. If your interested in reading more about different types of NDIS Management, you can learn more on our blog on the Different Types of Plan Management.
If you have chosen to have part or all of NDIS funds Plan Managed you will see funding available within the NDIS portal.
Plan managers can help you manage your NDIS funds, and daily administrative duties including paying invoices and tracking your funds.
When choosing an NDIS Plan Manager, it is helpful to understand a few things. How they work, how many clients they have per plan manager and ask additional questions including the below:
- Are you NDIS registered?
- How long have you been doing plan management for?
- What is the turnaround time for invoices to be paid?
- Plan managers with the best practise have a turnaround time of 4-7 business days. They understand that you’re receiving supports from a provider who expects their invoices to be paid in a timely manner. They should work alongside you to maintain strong relationships with your service provider.
- What information will you provide me to let me know how I am spending my budgets?
- Do they email, text or have an online portal you can log into?
- Will they help you understand where you are at with your budget?
- Do you seek approval from me before invoices are paid?
- How often will you update me on my budget?
- How will you communicate my NDIS fund allocation?
- Do you require additional documentation from my supports and service providers?
- What other information and support do you provide to me in managing my NDIS funding?
Plan managers may also have included in their NDIS registration the ability to support participants who have funding for ‘Plan Management activities’. This support is funded at an hourly basis at $55.27 per hour. Currently not many participants are asking for these supports. For those who want support in learning to manage their plan, this funding can help. This can be a useful support to ask for at your planning meetings for your NDIS plan.
There are many options available for plan managers. You can choose to work with larger providers or small boutique providers to sole traders. What is important in any case is that you feel like you have someone who can be a support for you and partner with you. After all, this is your NDIS plan.
Plan managers won’t be able to assist you with your other daily administrative duties outside of the NDIS.