There are around 4.5 million Australians currently living with a disability. For individuals with a permanent and significant disability, they may be eligible to access the National Disability Insurance Scheme. When rolled out the NDIS will fund 460,000 Australians to access supports across core, capital and capacity categories.
Eligibility for NDIS
To access the National Disability Insurance Scheme you need to meet the eligibility criteria.
- Are you aged between 7 and 65
- If you have a child under 7 you can find out more information about access via ECEI (early childhood early intervention) here https://www.ndis.gov.au/understanding/how-ndis-works/help-children-under-7
- If you are older than 65 you can find out more here https://www.ndis.gov.au/understanding/ndis-and-other-government-services/aged-care
- Permanent resident of Australia. The NDIS is only available to
- People who live in Australia
- Australian citizens
- Permanent Visa holders
- Protected Special Category Visa holders
- Do you usually require support from someone because of a permanent and significant disability
- Do you use special equipment because of a permanent and significant disability
- Do you need supports now to reduce your future needs
How do we access the NDIS?
If you already receive support from a State or Territory disability service, you will receive a phone call or an email to be alerted when you can access the NDIS and transition to create and implement your first NDIS plan. Your other option is to contact the NDIA and request information and an Access Request Form.
If you don’t currently receive support, call the NDIS 1800 800 110 and as for an Access Request form. Access the information through this link https://www.ndis.gov.au/how-apply-ndis/what-access-request-form#access-request-form
If you are aged 65 and over, you are not eligible to access the NDIS, if you already receive disability supports, you will continue to receive those supports. https://ndis.nsw.gov.au/ndis-resources/fact-sheets/fact-sheet-the-ndis-for-people-aged-65-and-over/. For more information on Aged Care and accessing supports visit https://www.myagedcare.gov.au/
If eligible for the NDIS a Local Area Coordinator will arrange a planning meeting with you to help you set your goals and assign you funding.
Please reach out to email@example.com if you have any other questions.